07 March 2009

When I Grow Up...

...and if.

So, with the Jacoby competition looming, I was asked, about a week ago, for a program interview, "What are you going to do after college?"

What?

Let me address the nature of this question real quickly... When did the question change from "what do you want to do" to "what are you going to do"? Honestly. How could I possibly know? This question keeps coming up as of late and everytime I resist the urge to say, "I plan on floundering about for awhile, wandering the country, and learning how to cope with life without my support structure of friends I've garnered over the past six years and I plan on doing this all while trying to scrape up a job that will afford me enough income to survive, whatever that may be."

Yeah. That's right. I don't have a clue.

The idea of always having a set plan for the future kind of irks me. More so now that I am nearing the end of my education degree. Yes, it's nice to have it in your mind that you're going places, but at the sake of sanity? When I was preparing for my high school graduation, I was bombarded with questions of where I would attend college, what I would learn there, what my career path was, and the like. It was ridiculous because I had no idea. I applied to so many different colleges and for so many different programs. I wanted to be an opera singer, a chef, a lawyer, a writer, a computer technician, a set designer, a teacher, and several things in between. I changed my major four times when I got to this university and I'm still not certain I picked the perfect one. How can we expect younger students to have a life plan when so few of the upcoming graduating class have one of their own?

That being said, I've developed a theory that it's more important to set small life goals that will inevitably make you a better person. You know, things that make you happy. They're easier to define, easier to attain, and less likely to uproot your entire life when they must change.

When I grow up, I want to grow fresh herbs in a garden outside my house. I want to cook a good meal for dinner at least once a week. I want to write something every weekend. I want to go see live music as often as I can. I want to read all the books my father has told me I should. I want to take time to sing every day. I want to have a career that doesn't make me hate myself. I want to keep my home clean. I want to be married, but mostly for the sake of throwing a huge party; sharing a life with someone doesn't require marriage. I want to do karaoke every now and again. I want to adopt a kid...when I'm ready to support a kid. I want to garner a collection of fantastic recipes that rival those of my parents and grandparents to pass down the line. I want to drink more water. I want to audition for things even if I am frightened. I want to have a nice car. I want to have an impact, no matter how small, on someone.

Well, there it is. I don't know what else to say about this barrage of thoughts that attacked my brain. I guess I've just been all sorts of contemplative as of late.

Jacoby went extremely well, by the way. I'll post a recording as soon as I get it for those of you who missed the concert.

A bientôt!

No comments: