29 March 2011

Award Winning Banana Bread

It is a constant source of pride that I can call my Banana Bread "Award Winning".  Granted the award it won was just a high school club competition and not some reknowned culinary thing, but I'll take it.  It's been awhile since I've been able to bake a lot and since baking is my favourite way to warm up the house when it's cold, I figured it was time.  Anyway, here is the recipe for my banana bread...
  • 2 ripe medium bananas
  • 1 8oz pkg cream cheese
  • 3 eggs
  • 6 tbsp butter
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Preheat your oven to 375.  This first part is my favourite...at least the way I do it anyway.  I don't have a standing mixer, so I put the bananas, cream cheese, and butter into a bowl and pulverize it with a potato masher!  Yeah, I'm a crazy person...  So you're gonna beat that untill it's soft and add the eggs and vanilla.  Once this is completely mixed, it'll kind of look like a custard if you did it right.  Next add the sugar and mix it in completely.  Then the soda, powder, and salt.  Last add the flour.  Pour the fully combined mixture into a greased bread pan (the ones I use are glass) and bake for somewhere in the neighborhood of an hour and twenty minutes.  I've had a lot of angry ovens in the past, so I've just always had to keep an eye on it and check often with a toothpick.

No comments: